Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Mind of a 2 Year Old!

Over Spring Break, the Ice Cream truck/van drove down our street. Seth made a big deal about it to Drew. Unfortunately, we had no cash on hand. Meme, Seth's mom, sent Drew ice cream money in the mail the next week. Thanks, Meme! The following week was back to work so we didn't see the Ice Cream man. Yesterday, Seth, Drew, and I picked my mom up from the airport and took her home. As she was dishing out gifts, Seth heard the Ice Cream truck and told Drew. Drew and I quickly ran outside to track him down. On a side note, Drew had taken his fake Crocs off and put them back on, only on the wrong feet. Back to the story...The Ice Cream man saw us and Drew yelled, "Come Back!" My thoughts: Where did he learn "come back" and I can't believe he used it appropriately. The truck turned around and Drew picked out a Batman Popsicle. Yummy!

Last night in the bathtub, while I was washing Drew's hair, he made another statement I didn't know he knew. I have one of those cups that has a soft plastic side that forms to the child's head to prevent water from getting in their eyes. The only problem is that the child must raise their head in the process and keep it raised. Drew has mastered raising the head, until you actually begin to pour the water out. Thus, negating the actual purpose of the cup. So...I just pour the water over his whole head. Last night, during this process he says, "No more, Mom!" Yes, yes, I know the boy knows how to say No and I know he knows More, but again the kid used them together in a sentence and used them appropriately. I'm amazed at the things he learns and how quickly he learns them. He's a smart cookie! (I am his mom, though, I'm supposed to think that!)

What does your kid say that surprises you?

4 comments:

  1. I remember being shocked the first time Jedidiah used the word actually..and like you I was shocked that he used it appropriately. I am sure he was older than 2, but that is one I won't soon forget. We hardly use that word. He now says stuff to us like, "can I watch another "episode" of SpongeBob? Also the other day he told me to "minimize" something on the computer screen. I tell you the words only get bigger and the shock is still there. It is amazing what they pick up and who knows from where? Drew is so precious! I love following your blog. Hope you are all well!

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Caroline definitely isn't saying anything yet...just wanted to say we have the same rinsing cup, and Caroline always ducks her head when the water starts coming out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised at everything that comes out of Hannah's 3 year old mouth and she's been talking a long time! I remember being amazed, like you, when she started stringing words together. The one that never seems to stop blowing my mind is when she calls me mom instead of mommy or mama. It's very 15 year old-ish (scary!) and I wonder when she grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel - I saw you post on Jen's blog about a makeover and came over to check you out. Drew is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete